By Tim Scanlon
Photos By Dave Rogers
Located near downtown Colorado Springs, the Patty Jewett Neighborhood is a diverse collection of homes, businesses and public spaces that has evolved for over a century. The 1912 City Plan, crafted by pioneer city planner Charles Mulford Robinson, shows the southwest portion of the neighborhood developed first, south of Fontanero St and east toward El Paso Street.
Named for its historic association with the adjacent Patty Jewett Golf Course, the original fairways of the 1897 Town and Gown Golf Course were located north and east of Columbia and El Paso Streets, now occupied by residences. Ten years later, the facility was moved to its current location and renamed the Colorado Springs Golf Club. In 1919, William K. Jewett, an early club member, purchased and donated it to the City as a self-sustaining facility in honor of his wife, Patty Stuart Jewett, an avid golfer and outdoor sportswoman. The 1899 clubhouse remains today as a private residence at the northeast corner of El Paso and Columbia Streets.