By Tim Scanlon
Photos By Dave Rogers
Located near downtown Colorado Springs, the Patty Jewett Neighborhood is a diverse collection of homes, businesses and public spaces that has evolved for over a century. The 1912 City Plan, crafted by pioneer city planner Charles Mulford Robinson, shows the southwest portion of the neighborhood developed first, south of Fontanero St and east toward El Paso Street.
Named for its historic association with the adjacent Patty Jewett Golf Course, the original fairways of the 1897 Town and Gown Golf Course were located north and east of Columbia and El Paso Streets, now occupied by residences. Ten years later, the facility was moved to its current location and renamed the Colorado Springs Golf Club. In 1919, William K. Jewett, an early club member, purchased and donated it to the City as a self-sustaining facility in honor of his wife, Patty Stuart Jewett, an avid golfer and outdoor sportswoman. The 1899 clubhouse remains today as a private residence at the northeast corner of El Paso and Columbia Streets.
Bordered on the west by the Golf Course, the neighborhoods’ northern boundary is East Fontanero Street. To the east, the boundary is the alley between Wahsatch Avenue, westernmost of the four north-south Avenues originating downtown) and Corona Street, and the southern boundary is East Uintah Street. What is now the Shooks Run Trail, curving north and west through the southern portion of the neighborhood, was originally the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, used for passenger trains heading north from the Santa Fe Depot east of downtown.
One of the oldest houses in the City is located at the northeast corner of Espanola and El Paso Street; this was the home of W. E. Pabor, publicist and secretary of the Fountain Colony, which created as the development entity for the City by its founder, General William J. Palmer. It was moved here in the 1920’s. A remnant from an earlier age is the building occupied by Sunflower Medical Clinic, at the southwest corner of Corona and Espanola. This once was a neighborhood grocery, a necessity for neighborhoods in a pre-automobile and pre-supermarket era. Another market, as well as an early filling station and garage, can be found at the intersection of Columbia and Corona Streets. Taylor Elementary school, named after Alice Bemis Taylor, noted philanthropist and co-founder of the city’s Fine Arts Center, has educated neighborhood children since 1952. A recent addition to the neighborhood is the Casa Verde Commons, the city’s first Co-Housing community, located on the site of a former greenhouse that once provided fresh flowers to the region.
Housing styles in the neighborhood range from late-Victorian frame houses to craftsman and mission. Bungalows are mixed with one-story ranches, and are interspersed with minimal traditional and modern forms. Streets are generally laid out in a grid; most blocks have alleys and sidewalks, and mature trees grace the area. The neighborhood is popular with young families, as homes are relatively modest in size with large back yards.